Wilderness Canoeing and Bushcraft Adventure
The wilderness canoeing and bushcraft adventure will begin from the historic Quay of Calstock on the Cornwall side of the river Tamar. We will introduce you to the Canadian canoes, pack and prepare for the journey up the beautiful River, with the destination of Cotehele Quay in our sights. The canoe journey is approximately 15 kilometers of stunning scenery. Here you will have the chance to take in some fantastic views and catch a glimpse of some great wildlife you may not have had the chance to see very often. On this stretch of the river we often see heron, egrets, birds of prey and the occasional seal, otter and leaping Salmon .
Start: 8.00am Saturday 21st May 2022
Finish: Approx. 10.30am Sunday 22nd May 2022
Location: Calstock, Cornwall
Whilst on the canoe journey you will be taught how to navigate and control the craft and how to avoid and deal with emergencies on the water. We will find a quiet location to take a break on our way upstream, before we arrive at the quay of Cotehele . As soon as we arrive we will be setting up camp. We will be spending the night on the edge of the woodland where it meets the river. You will be spending the night under tarps, sleeping under a tarpaulin is a great way to spend the night, we will prepare for our evening meal, light fires for our camp and settle for the evening.
After a night under the stars we will have the morning to practice some bushcraft skills which can include foraging, how to navigate, wood carving and more .. Unfortunately it will then be time to leave camp and head for Weir quay on our paddle back. On the river we will make a stop and take in the beautiful scenery before we reach our final destination.
- Practical outdoor clothing (WATERPROOFS)
- Walking boots or similar (Wellies will do if we are in for a wet weekend)
- A lightweight pair of trainers or flip flops for the canoe trip that you do not mind getting wet.
- A coat (Ideally waterproof)
- A sleeping bag and roll matt.
- Mess tins or Billy can
- plate or bowl
- Knife, fork, and spoon also a mug or cup to drink from
- A full water bottle (for drinking)
- A head torch and a spare set of batteries
- Insect repellent
- A whistle for emergencies
- Anti-bacterial wipes
- Small first aid kit
- Hand sanitiser
- Dry Sack or plastic bags to keep all your kit dry.
- Breakfast and lunch for the duration
- A few snacks for the canoe trip
- Tea or coffee / Juice / Water
- A change of clothing
- Rubbish bag/s (you will be taking your own rubbish with you when bins are not available)
- A notebook and pencil
- Bivvy bag (sleeping bag cover)
- Change of clothing
- Evening meals if you wish to self-cater.
- We supply tarps but your more than welcome to bring your own sleeping system on this trip i.e., Hammock or tent etc.
We will supply:
- Canadian canoes
- Buoyancy aids
- Tarps (for shelter)
- Evening meals
Upon booking you will receive all the relevant information for your event via email. This will be to the email address provided upon booking. Please check your junk folder for this information.
Due to H&S requirements, it is essential that disclaimers are completed and returned for each participant prior to your course date. Failure to complete the required disclaimer will result in you being unable to attend the course.
Any photographs or photography taken by the instructors during the course may be used by Serious Outdoor Skills in promotional material or advertising either printed or on the internet. If you do not wish to be present in any photographs, please let your instructor know upon arrival to your event.
Evening meal will be provided by Serious Outdoor Skills – you will be responsible for your own breakfast and lunch. Please bring any extra snacks if you wish. Serious Outdoor Skills will supply a campfire kettle as well as tea, coffee, milk, and sugar. Evening meal will usually be vegetable stir-fry
If you have any food allergies or would prefer to self-cater for evening meals, please email email@example.com to inform us of this.
Minimum age 14+ (Must attend with a paying adult aged 18+)
PLEASE NOTE: Trips will run weather permitting. Should our event need to be postponed for any reasons out of the control of Serious Outdoor Skills, as per our T&Cs, an alternative date will be available.
Q. I have made a booking, but I have not received any information about my event.
- An email containing all the course details will be sent to the email address provided upon booking. Please ensure you have entered the correct email address.
- Please check your junk/spam folder as the email may have been sent there.
- If you have still not received the course details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. I have booked a date I can no longer attend, what are my options?
- Contact us at email@example.com to change your booking to an alternative date, providing availability.
- For cancellations and refunds, please refer to our Terms & Conditions: https://seriousoutdoorskills.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/
Q. My event was postponed due to adverse weather, what happens now?
- Due to the nature of our business, events may be postponed if it is deemed unsafe to run due to adverse weather. In this instance, you will be offered an alternative date to attend your event.
Q. What happens if my event is postponed because of Covid-19?
- Option 1) You will be provided with a credit note which will be valid for 18 months.
- Option 2) You will be offered an alternative date, providing availability.
- Option 3) You will be provided with a refund.
Q. The information for the canoe trips advises to book in pairs, can I still attend alone?
- Yes, you can book a single place on our canoe events.