Introduction to Survival and Bushcraft
Allow us to introduce you to the essential skills required in the fascinating world of survival and bushcraft! This event incorporates taught sessions in the areas of wood carving, shelter building, fire lighting, foraging and aspects of navigation as well is giving you the opportunity to have hands-on experience to put your new found skill set into practice!
The surrounding wildlife and natural environment of our base camp adds to the whole experience, providing the wood, natural materials and scenic trails required for our sessions throughout the day.
Our events are run by our highly experienced instructors who’s passion and knowledge of the outdoors is evident in the experience delivered by Serious Outdoor Skills.
Location: Cotehele National Trust, Cornwall
The introduction to survival and bushcraft course starts with a short safety brief and then you will get straight into action. First up is a session on how to safely and efficiently use the cutting tools supplied by us, this leads into some wood carving work to get you used to using an outdoor knife and folding saw. Shelter building is up after which is hard work but great fun and highly rewarding. As you are constructing your shelter you will be taught about the importance of protecting yourself from the elements. When the shelters are complete it will be time to stop for a lunch break.
After lunch we will concentrate on fire lighting skills where you will get the chance to light fire by friction. The importance of water will be linked into this session where you will learn how and where to acquire it and make it safe. Next there will be a guided forage through the woodland where you will learn about edible and medicinal plants and which plants to avoid due to their poisonous nature. Finally we will cover some aspects of navigation without a compass which will bring us to the close of the course.
- Sensible clothing for the day – we strongly advise against wearing shorts due to the environment.
- Practical outdoor clothing (waterproofs)
- Walking boots or similar (wellies will do if we are in for a wet day)
- A coat (Ideally waterproof)
- Packed lunch / snacks
- A filled water bottle (for drinking)
- Anti-bacterial wipes
- Personal first aid kit
- Hand sanitiser
- Rubbish bag/s (you will take away your rubbish when bins are unavailable)
- A notebook and pencil
We will supply:
- Tarps (shelter during bad weather)
- Tools and equipment for taught sessions
PLEASE ONLY BRING WHAT YOU CAN COMFORTABLY CARRY AS THERE IS A 20 MINUITE WALK TO OUR SITE.
Upon booking you will receive all the relevant information for your event via email. This will be to the email address provided upon booking. Please check your junk folder for this information.
Due to H&S requirements, it is essential that disclaimers are completed and returned for each participant prior to your course date. Failure to complete the required disclaimer will result in you being unable to attend the course.
Any photographs or photography taken by the instructors during the course may be used by Serious Outdoor Skills in promotional material or advertising either printed or on the internet. If you do not wish to be present in any photographs, please let your instructor know upon arrival to your event.
Please bring a packed lunch, snacks, and a drink with you.
Recommended minimum age 10+ (Must attend with a paying adult aged 18+) *It is the parent(s)/guardian(s) responsibility to determine if you feel the event is suitable for any child attending with you.
PLEASE NOTE: Trips will run weather permitting. Should our event need to be postponed for any reasons out of the control of Serious Outdoor Skills, as per our T&Cs, an alternative date will be available.
Q. Can I bring my dog?
- Unfortunately, dogs cannot attend our events.
Q. I have made a booking, but I have not received any information about my event.
- An email containing all the course details will be sent to the email address provided upon booking. Please ensure you have entered the correct email address.
- Please check your junk/spam folder as the email may have been sent there.
- If you have still not received the course details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. I have booked a date I can no longer attend, what are my options?
- Contact us at email@example.com to change your booking to an alternative date, providing availability.
- For cancellations and refunds, please refer to our Terms & Conditions: https://seriousoutdoorskills.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/
Q. My event was postponed due to adverse weather, what happens now?
- Due to the nature of our business, events may be postponed if it is deemed unsafe to run due to adverse weather. In this instance, you will be offered an alternative date to attend your event.
Q. What happens if my event is postponed because of Covid-19?
- Option 1) You will be provided with a credit note which will be valid for 18 months.
- Option 2) You will be offered an alternative date, providing availability.
- Option 3) You will be provided with a refund.