Hide Tanning & Deer processing Workshop
Over the duration of this weekend we will teach you how to skin, butcher and joint a whole deer and process the hide into buckskin. You will learn the ancient method of brain-tanning, a process which turns raw deer skin into a soft, pliable material known as buckskin. No chemicals are used in this process, just water, brains (or eggs if you’re squeamish), smoke and some hard work. You will also learn how to hang, skin, joint and butcher the whole animal in the most effective way.
All course participants will get hands on experience in the activities and get to leave with their own buckskin
Watch a short video of last years event below
Start: Friday 9am – Please arrive 15-mins early to avoid a delayed start.
Finish: Sunday approx. 3pm
Location: Cotehele National Trust, Cornwall
What we will cover
- How to hang a Deer for processing
- How to remove the skin
- Methods of de-fleshing and scraping
- How to frame a skin
- How to soften the hide
- Tanning and preserving the hide
- Uses of buckskin
- How to butcher and joint the meat from a deer
- How to make jerky and preserve the meat for food use
- Making use from the rest of the animal
- Practical outdoor clothing (WATERPROOFS)
- Walking boots or similar (Wellies will do if we are in for a wet weekend)
- A coat (Ideally waterproof)
- A sleeping bag and roll mat
- Mess tins, Billy can (a plate and bowl will do)
- Knife, fork, and spoon also a mug or cup to drink from
- A full water bottle (for drinking)
- A head torch and a spare set of batteries
- Insect repellent
- A whistle for emergencies
- Anti-bacterial wipes
- Hand sanitiser
- Small first aid kit
- Food for duration
- Rubbish bag/s (You will take your rubbish with you when bins are not available)
- A notebook and pencil
- Bivvy bag (sleeping bag cover)
- Tea or coffee
- Change of clothing
- Please feel free to bring your own sleeping system / tent
We will supply:
- Evening meals
- Equipment and tools
- Tarp (for shelter)
PLEASE ONLY BRING WHAT YOU CAN COMFORTABLY CARRY AS THERE IS A 20 MINUITE WALK TO OUR SITE.
Upon booking you will receive all the relevant information for your event via email. This will be to the email address provided upon booking. Please check your junk folder for this information.
Due to H&S requirements, it is essential that disclaimers are completed and returned for each participant prior to your course date. Failure to complete the required disclaimer will result in you being unable to attend the course.
Any photographs or photography taken by the instructors during the course may be used by Serious Outdoor Skills in promotional material or advertising either printed or on the internet. If you do not wish to be present in any photographs, please let your instructor know upon arrival to your event.
You will be responsible for your own meals for the duration of the event.
Age 16+ *Must attend with a paying adult aged 18+
PLEASE NOTE: Trips will run weather permitting. Should our event need to be postponed for any reasons out of the control of Serious Outdoor Skills, as per our T&Cs, an alternative date will be available.
Q. I have made a booking, but I have not received any information about my event.
- An email containing all the course details will be sent to the email address provided upon booking. Please ensure you have entered the correct email address.
- Please check your junk/spam folder as the email may have been sent there.
- If you have still not received the course details, please email email@example.com
Q. I have booked a date I can no longer attend, what are my options?
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to change your booking to an alternative date, providing availability.
- For cancellations and refunds, please refer to our Terms & Conditions: https://seriousoutdoorskills.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/
Q. My event was postponed due to adverse weather, what happens now?
- Due to the nature of our business, events may be postponed if it is deemed unsafe to run due to adverse weather. In this instance, you will be offered an alternative date to attend your event.
Q. What happens if my event is postponed because of Covid-19?
- Option 1) You will be provided with a credit note which will be valid for 18 months.
- Option 2) You will be offered an alternative date, providing availability.
- Option 3) You will be provided with a refund.