Father’s Day Bushcraft and Wilderness skills event
What a way to spend Father’s day; a unique weekend spending quality time together in the woods learning new skills to work on together.
Experience the wild and spend the night in your very own shelter made by you! You will be introduced to some fascinating and essential bushcraft and wilderness skills; fire lighting, tracking and wild cooking. Create your own piece of wood work to take away with you and put your bow and arrow making skills to the test with a friendly competition, all under the guidance of our highly experienced instructors.
18th-19th June 2022
Start: Saturday 9am
Finish: Sunday 11.00 am
Location: Cotehele National Trust, Cornwall
Price: £160 for 1 adult and 1 child. If you wish to bring another child there will be an additional charge of £44. Max two children per adult.
The day begins with knife skills which will enable you to have a go at creating a piece of hand carved woodwork to take away with you. This will be followed by a demonstration on several different methods of how to build a shelter so you can go off and build your own sanctuary for the day.
We will be teaching you to become expert fire lighters, you will have the chance to experiment in lighting fire in several different ways. In the afternoon its the basics of tracking which we will practice with some fun games later in the evening. We will give you the option of getting involved in food preparation, there will also be the chance to use different wilderness cooking styles over the weekend. On Saturday evening, fingers crossed that we have a clear night so we can show you how to navigate using the stars! The following morning will be all about bow and arrow making, we will be using traditional methods to create these and when we are finished, the fun part…firing them!
- Practical outdoor clothing (WATERPROOFS)
- Walking boots or similar (Wellies will do if we’re in for a wet weekend)
- A coat (Ideally waterproof)
- A sleeping bag and roll mat
- Mess tins, Billy can (a plate and bowl will do)
- Knife, fork, and spoon also a mug or cup to drink from
- A full water bottle (for drinking)
- Breakfast and lunch for the duration of the event
- A head torch and a spare set of batteries
- Insect repellent
- A whistle for emergencies
- Anti-bacterial wipes
- Hand sanitiser
- Small first aid kit
- Rubbish bag/s (You will take away your own rubbish when bins are not available)
- A notebook and pencil
- Bivvy bag (sleeping bag cover)
- Tea or coffee
- Change of clothing
- Extra snacks
We will supply:
- Tarps (shelter in case of bad weather)
- Tools and equipment for taught sessions
- Evening meal
PLEASE ONLY BRING WHAT YOU CAN COMFORTABLY CARRY AS THERE IS A 20 MINUITE WALK TO OUR SITE.
Upon booking you will receive all the relevant information for your event via email. This will be to the email address provided upon booking. Please check your junk folder for this information.
Due to H&S requirements, it is essential that disclaimers are completed and returned for each participant prior to your course date. Failure to complete the required disclaimer will result in you being unable to attend the course.
Any photographs or photography taken by the instructors during the course may be used by Serious Outdoor Skills in promotional material or advertising either printed or on the internet. If you do not wish to be present in any photographs, please let your instructor know upon arrival to your event.
Evening meals will be provided by Serious Outdoor Skills – you will be responsible for your own breakfast and lunch. Please bring any extra snacks if you wish. Evening meals will usually be BBQ food with vegetarian options.
If you have any food allergies or would prefer to self-cater for evening meals, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to inform us of this.
Recommended minimum age 7+ (Must attend with a paying adult aged 18+) *It is the parent(s)/guardian(s) responsibility to determine if you feel the event is suitable for any child attending with you.
PLEASE NOTE: Trips will run weather permitting. Should our event need to be postponed for any reasons out of the control of Serious Outdoor Skills, as per our T&Cs, an alternative date will be available.
Q. As a mother can I attend the event with my children?
- Absolutely! Mothers, fathers, parents, carers…all are welcome on our Father’s Day Event.
Q. Can I bring my dog?
- Unfortunately, dogs cannot attend our events.
Q. I have made a booking, but I have not received any information about my event.
- An email containing all the course details will be sent to the email address provided upon booking. Please ensure you have entered the correct email address.
- Please check your junk/spam folder as the email may have been sent there.
- If you have still not received the course details, please email email@example.com
Q. I have booked a date I can no longer attend, what are my options?
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to change your booking to an alternative date, providing availability.
- For cancellations and refunds, please refer to our Terms & Conditions: https://seriousoutdoorskills.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/
Q. My event was postponed due to adverse weather, what happens now?
- Due to the nature of our business, events may be postponed if it is deemed unsafe to run due to adverse weather. In this instance, you will be offered an alternative date to attend your event.
Q. What happens if my event is postponed because of Covid-19?
- Option 1) You will be provided with a credit note which will be valid for 18 months.
- Option 2) You will be offered an alternative date, providing availability.
- Option 3) You will be provided with a refund.