The Family Bushcraft Course
We, at Serious Outdoor Skills, believe that there are so many outdoor activities which can be enjoyed together as a family.
The Family Bushcraft Course is great fun and has a focus on spending some quality time together in the woods. You will be taught some new skills, which can be put into practice whenever you venture into the woods and outdoors.
All in all, it is our intention to give the entire family a memorable, action packed, fun and informative adventure in the outdoors!
Start: Saturday 9am – Please arrive 15-mins early to avoid a delayed start.
Finish: Sunday approx. 12pm
Location: Cotehele National Trust, Cornwall
Adult Price: £78
Child Price: £57.50
Please Note: Min 2 participants per booking. Max 2 children per adult.
The first day will begin with some knife skills which will enable you to have a go at creating a piece of carved woodwork to take away with you and to have as a keepsake to remember the great experience we aim for you to have. This will be followed by a demonstration on several different methods of how to build a shelter so you can go off and use your newly found knowledge and skills to build your very own family sanctuary for the day.
We will be teaching you how to track animals and to look for signs and clues left by the different kinds of wildlife. This is when kids and adults alike can become a “tracker” for the afternoon and put your tracking skills to the test! At meal times there will be the chance to use different wilderness cooking styles over the weekend which will include cooking over an open fire and using a ground oven. This will be done using the fire that you make yourselves!
In the morning is where one of the most fun parts begins. Bow and arrow making! You will be shown, using traditional methods, how to create these and when we are finished, there will be a competition to try and hit the targets that we place out.
- Practical outdoor clothing (WATERPROOFS)
- Walking boots or similar (Wellies will do if we are in for a wet weekend)
- A coat (WATERPROOF)
- A sleeping bag and roll mat
- Mess tins, Billy can (a plate and bowl will do)
- Knife, fork, and spoon also a mug or cup to drink from
- A full water bottle (for drinking)
- Breakfast and lunch for duration
- A head torch and a spare set of batteries
- Insect repellent
- A whistle for emergencies
- Anti-bacterial wipes
- Hand sanitiser
- Small first aid kit
- A notebook and pencil
- Bivvy bag (sleeping bag cover)
- Tea or coffee
- Change of clothing.
We will supply:
- Evening meals
- Tarps if required
- Cutting tools
- Equipment for sessions
PLEASE ONLY BRING WHAT YOU CAN COMFORTABLY CARRY AS THERE IS A 20 MINUITE WALK TO OUR SITE.
Upon booking you will receive all the relevant information for your event via email. This will be to the email address provided upon booking. Please check your junk folder for this information.
Due to H&S requirements, it is essential that disclaimers are completed and returned for each participant prior to your course date. Failure to complete the required disclaimer will result in you being unable to attend the course.
Any photographs or photography taken by the instructors during the course may be used by Serious Outdoor Skills in promotional material or advertising either printed or on the internet. If you do not wish to be present in any photographs, please let your instructor know upon arrival to your event.
Evening meals will be provided by Serious Outdoor Skills – you will be responsible for your own breakfast and lunch. Please bring any extra snacks if you wish. Serious Outdoor Skills will supply a campfire kettle as well as tea, coffee, milk, and sugar.
If you have any food allergies or would prefer to self-cater for evening meals, please email email@example.com to inform us of this.
Recommended minimum age 7+ (Must attend with a paying adult aged 18+) *It is the parent(s)/guardian(s) responsibility to determine if you feel the event is suitable for any child attending with you.
PLEASE NOTE: Trips will run weather permitting. Should our event need to be postponed for any reasons out of the control of Serious Outdoor Skills, as per our T&Cs, an alternative date will be available.
Q. Can I bring my dog?
- Unfortunately, dogs cannot attend our events.
Q. I have made a booking, but I have not received any information about my event.
- An email containing all the course details will be sent to the email address provided upon booking. Please ensure you have entered the correct email address.
- Please check your junk/spam folder as the email may have been sent there.
- If you have still not received the course details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. I have booked a date I can no longer attend, what are my options?
- Contact us at email@example.com to change your booking to an alternative date, providing availability.
- For cancellations and refunds, please refer to our Terms & Conditions: https://seriousoutdoorskills.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/
Q. My event was postponed due to adverse weather, what happens now?
- Due to the nature of our business, events may be postponed if it is deemed unsafe to run due to adverse weather. In this instance, you will be offered an alternative date to attend your event.
Q. What happens if my event is postponed because of Covid-19?
- Option 1) You will be provided with a credit note which will be valid for 18 months.
- Option 2) You will be offered an alternative date, providing availability.
- Option 3) You will be provided with a refund.
£57.50 – £78.00