Dartmoor Survival and Wilderness Skills Adventure
The Dartmoor Survival and Wilderness Skills Adventure is a trip into the remote Southern core of Dartmoor National Park which will offer you the chance to see the real side to the moor . Dartmoor is a great venue for wild camping and is one of England’s last unspoiled wildernesses. Exploring this region will give you the opportunity to see some of the regions finest scenery, wildlife and flora. We will be setting off from Princetown and exploring some of the most fascinating points en route. Over the weekend we will be wild camping in remote locations, this really is the best way to experience Dartmoor.
This course is perfect for anyone seeking an adventure in a truly beautiful environment. When the weekend is over you will leave us with an increased knowledge of the outdoors and how to confidently plan and go on your own future adventures.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a self catering course and a reasonable level of fitness is required
Start: Friday 3pm – Please arrive 15-mins early to avoid a delayed start.
Finish: Sunday approx. 11.30am
Location: Dartmoor, Devon
Here is what we will get up too
- Planning a trip in remote areas
- Packing and organising kit for an adventure
- Map reading
- Navigating using a map and compass
- Finding direction without a compass (using natural techniques)
- Finding and making safe water
- How to set up camp efficiently
- leaving no trace whilst camping
- Dealing with emergencies in remote areas
- Identifying flora and fauna
This weekend’s event will have a big emphasis on navigation. we will teach you all of the essential skills of navigating with a map and compass. This will include the following:
- how to set your map
- understanding features on your map
- understanding map scales
- using your compass
- taking bearings
- giving grid references
- techniques such as hand railing , contouring, using catchment features and aiming off
- re -sectioning
- Practical outdoor clothing
- Waterproof coat and trousers
- Walking boots or similar
- A sleeping bag suitable for season
- Bivvi bag
- Roll mat or inflatable mattress
- Small tent or tarp. Tents are better for open moorland.
- Mess tins, Billy can (a plate and bowl will do)
- Knife, fork, and spoon also a mug or cup to drink from
- A full water bottle (for drinking)
- means to replenish water i.e., purification tablets or water filter.
- A head torch and a spare set of batteries
- Insect repellent
- A whistle for emergencies
- Anti-bacterial wipes
- Hand sanitiser
- Small first aid kit
- Dartmoor OS map 1 25.000
- Compass with a 1 .25000 scale
- Food for duration
- Gas stove and gas
- A rucksack to carry everything, we recommend at least a 50-litre bag for this.
- A notebook and pencil
- Tea or coffee
- Change of clothing
PLEASE ONLY BRING WHAT YOU CAN COMFORTABLY CARRY.
Upon booking you will receive all the relevant information for your event via email. This will be to the email address provided upon booking. Please check your junk folder for this information.
Due to H&S requirements, it is essential that disclaimers are completed and returned for each participant prior to your course date. Failure to complete the required disclaimer will result in you being unable to attend the course.
Any photographs or photography taken by the instructors during the course may be used by Serious Outdoor Skills in promotional material or advertising either printed or on the internet. If you do not wish to be present in any photographs, please let your instructor know upon arrival to your event.
You will be responsible for your own meals for the duration of the event.
Age 16+ *Must attend with a paying adult aged 18+
PLEASE NOTE: Trips will run weather permitting. Should our event need to be postponed for any reasons out of the control of Serious Outdoor Skills, as per our T&Cs, an alternative date will be available.
Q. Can I bring my dog?
- Unfortunately, dogs cannot attend our events.
Q. I have made a booking, but I have not received any information about my event.
- An email containing all the course details will be sent to the email address provided upon booking. Please ensure you have entered the correct email address.
- Please check your junk/spam folder as the email may have been sent there.
- If you have still not received the course details, please email email@example.com
Q. I have booked a date I can no longer attend, what are my options?
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to change your booking to an alternative date, providing availability.
- For cancellations and refunds, please refer to our Terms & Conditions: https://seriousoutdoorskills.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/
Q. My event was postponed due to adverse weather, what happens now?
- Due to the nature of our business, events may be postponed if it is deemed unsafe to run due to adverse weather. In this instance, you will be offered an alternative date to attend your event.
Q. What happens if my event is postponed because of Covid-19?
- Option 1) You will be provided with a credit note which will be valid for 18 months.
- Option 2) You will be offered an alternative date, providing availability.
- Option 3) You will be provided with a refund.