Coastal Survival and Bushcraft Skills Weekend
Joining us on our Coastal Survival and Bushcraft Skills Weekend will leave you with a greater understanding and knowledge of the British Isles coastline. The coastal regions of the British Isles can be a bountiful resource of wild food and a great place to spend free time, however, they also present many dangers.
This event will be highly informative with lots of hands on skills practice. We will be actively foraging and fishing to acquire food to accompany our evening meals. Course participants will be involved in all the sessions delivered
As busy as this event is, we always try to give course participants some free down time to relax and take in the scenery.
Start: Friday 3pm
Finish: Sunday approx. 11.30am
Location: Lansallos, Cornwall
We will help you develop a greater understanding of these beautiful areas by covering sessions on the following subjects:
Using and understanding shelter
- You will be shown how to make a shelter with the resources around you, how to erect a tarp efficiently and in the most effective way to suit your circumstances and you will be informed on the effects of having no shelter and how it affects the body
- How to make a fire with several different methods including fire by friction. How to identify use and prepare good natural tinders
Finding and making safe water
- You will be shown how to find and make safe water for drinking, we will teach you how to source filter and purify water using several different methods
Coastal foraging for edible plants and seaweeds
- We will be out foraging for edible plants and seaweeds on the foreshore and the coastline, these will accompany meals that we prepare together
Coastal foraging for shellfish
- We will forage for shellfish and crustaceans from the shoreline
- You will be shown, and you will have a chance to fish with a rod, we will show you several methods of fishing and teach you how to target specific species
- We will be preparing food together and using several methods of cooking mainly on an open fire to prepare our meals
- As a group we will deliver a session on how to make a fishing net using techniques with and without a netting needle
Fish traps and lines
- You will be shown how fishing nets and traps work and how they can be an essential resource for producing food
Understanding tides, currents, water and weather
- We will inform you about the tides and how they vary and what you need to understand about them, how to identify Rip currents and the dangers associated with water. We will also give you an insight into reading the weather
- You will be shown how to understand direction and read a map we will show you how to use a compass and why it’s important to carry these tools in coastal and remote areas. you will also be taught how to find direction without a compass
Safe use of cutting tools
- As we do on all our events you will be informed how to safely and efficiently use the cutting tools supplied by us which will be a folding saw and a fixed blade knife
Making use of surrounding resources
- We will scavenge our way around the coastline looking for any valuable resources which could be a life saver in a real-life survival situation, one man’s junk is another man’s treasure
Coastal fishing and foraging and the law
- Before you leave, we will make sure you are aware of the law associated with coastal fishing, netting, trapping and foraging.
- Practical outdoor clothing (WATERPROOFS)
- Walking boots
- Old trainers (or similar for rock pooling)
- A coat (Ideally waterproof)
- A sleeping bag, bivvy bag and roll mat
- Mess tins or Billy can for cooking
- A plate, cup, and bowl
- Knife, fork, and spoon
- A full water bottle (for drinking)
- A head torch and a spare set of batteries
- Insect repellent
- A whistle for emergencies
- Anti-bacterial wipes
- Small first aid kit
- Hand sanitiser
- Ball of string – ideally jute twine (or similar)
- Para Cord (10 meters)
- Breakfast and lunch for the duration
- Additional snacks
- A notebook and pencil
- Fishing rod & tackle
- Tea or coffee
- Change of clothing
- 2 x evening meals (If you would prefer to self-cater)
We will supply:
- Tarps (for shelter)
- Cutting tools
- Evening meals
PLEASE ONLY BRING WHAT YOU CAN COMFORTABLY CARRY AS THERE IS A 15 MINUITE WALK TO OUR SITE.
Upon booking you will receive all the relevant information for your event via email. This will be to the email address provided upon booking. Please check your junk folder for this information.
Due to H&S requirements, it is essential that disclaimers are completed and returned for each participant prior to your course date. Failure to complete the required disclaimer will result in you being unable to attend the course.
Any photographs or photography taken by the instructors during the course may be used by Serious Outdoor Skills in promotional material or advertising either printed or on the internet. If you do not wish to be present in any photographs, please let your instructor know upon arrival to your event.
Evening meals will be provided by Serious Outdoor Skills – you will be responsible for your own breakfast and lunch. Please bring any extra snacks if you wish. Serious Outdoor Skills will supply a campfire kettle as well as tea, coffee, milk, and sugar. Evening meals will usually consist of the following:
Friday: vegetable pasta with a tomato sauce
Saturday: vegetable stir-fry with noodles and rice
If you have any food allergies or would prefer to self-cater for evening meals, please email email@example.com to inform us of this.
Age 16+ *Must attend with a paying adult aged 18+
PLEASE NOTE: Trips will run weather permitting. Should our event need to be postponed for any reasons out of the control of Serious Outdoor Skills, as per our T&Cs, an alternative date will be available.
Q. I have made a booking, but I have not received any information about my event.
- An email containing all the course details will be sent to the email address provided upon booking. Please ensure you have entered the correct email address.
- Please check your junk/spam folder as the email may have been sent there.
- If you have still not received the course details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. I have booked a date I can no longer attend, what are my options?
- Contact us at email@example.com to change your booking to an alternative date, providing availability.
- For cancellations and refunds, please refer to our Terms & Conditions: https://seriousoutdoorskills.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/
Q. My event was postponed due to adverse weather, what happens now?
- Due to the nature of our business, events may be postponed if it is deemed unsafe to run due to adverse weather. In this instance, you will be offered an alternative date to attend your event.
Q. What happens if my event is postponed because of Covid-19?
- Option 1) You will be provided with a credit note which will be valid for 18 months.
- Option 2) You will be offered an alternative date, providing availability.
- Option 3) You will be provided with a refund.