3 Day Canoe Expedition on the River Tamar
We are pleased to offer this fantastic 3-day canoe trip on the beautiful River Tamar which is located on the border of Devon and Cornwall. This popular event is a favourite of ours! You will have the chance to experience the beautiful surrounding scenery and stunning wildlife whilst paddling the river in our sturdy open Canadian canoes. You will be shown how to correctly maneuver the canoe to get the most out of your experience with us.
Over the course of the event you will be taught about the fascinating techniques used in survival, wilderness skills & bushcraft, or you can use this event as an opportunity to brush up or add to your existing knowledge. We have tailor made this experience to incorporate interesting and informative lessons from our highly experienced instructors and to utilise time for hands-on experience to put what you have learned into practice.
This event is suitable for all levels of experience!
Start: 2pm Friday 20th August 21
Finish: 10am Sunday 22nd August 21
Location: Saltash, Cornwall
The event will begin at Saltash where we will start with the safety and essentials of canoe expedition trips. Before we pack up the canoes and head off on the water we will talk about safety aspects of paddling and all potential hazards that we could encounter on such trips and how to overcome them. We will also teach you how to pack your boat, discuss trim and show you how to lift and carry the boats as a group and on your own. When everyone is happy we will begin our adventure on the beautiful and scenic river. Once on the water you will be shown how to best manoeuvre the canoe. You will be paddling in tandem so we will show you the preferred techniques to move efficiently over the water .We will be paddling a distance of over 50 km over the 3 days whilst still having time to practice some great bushcraft and canoe expedition skills including the following:
- Safe and effective cutting tool use and basic wood carving
- Dealing with emergencies in remote areas
- Using a tarpaulin and the importance of Shelter
- Safety on the water
- Transporting your boat
- Fire lighting skills
- Solo and Tandem paddling techniques
- Fishing techniques
- Navigation and more…
For the first evening we will be heading to the Cotehele estate in Cornwall and setting up camp. When we arrive we will prepare our evening meal and look at some of the essential wilderness skills that you can then practice over the duration of your stay.
After a night under the stars we will have the morning to relax, practice some bushcraft skills, try our luck at fishing and enjoy the scenery. We aim to be back on the water for lunch time. As a group we will paddle up to the tidal limits near the town of Gunnislake. Whilst on the water we can try some more fishing techniques and you will be shown some new paddling skills. The scenery on the upper Tamar is beautiful and we will pass the Morwell cliffs and quay where you will hopefully get the chance to spot some great wildlife. As the evening draws it will be back to our camp for the night where you can relax and enjoy the evening meal. With over 40km paddled now a good night’s sleep will be in order!
The final morning will be an early start beginning with breakfast and followed by packing up the kit ready for our journey back down the river heading for Saltash.
This will be an adventure you will struggle to forget!
- Practical outdoor clothing (WATERPROOFS)
- Walking boots or similar (Wellies will do if we are in for a wet weekend)
- A lightweight pair of trainers or flip flops for the canoe trip that you do not mind getting wet.
- A coat (Ideally waterproof)
- A sleeping bag and roll matt.
- Mess tins or Billy can
- plate or bowl
- Knife, fork, and spoon also a mug or cup to drink from
- A full water bottle (for drinking)
- A head torch and a spare set of batteries
- Insect repellent
- A whistle for emergencies
- Anti-bacterial wipes
- Small first aid kit
- Hand sanitiser
- Dry Sack or plastic bags to keep all your kit dry.
- Breakfast and lunch for the duration
- A few snacks for the canoe trip
- Tea or coffee / Juice / Water
- A change of clothing
- Rubbish bag/s (you will be taking your own rubbish with you when bins are not available)
- A notebook and pencil
- Bivvy bag (sleeping bag cover)
- Change of clothing
- Evening meals if you wish to self-cater.
- We supply tarps but your more than welcome to bring your own sleeping system on this trip i.e., Hammock or tent etc.
We will supply:
- Canadian canoes
- Buoyancy aids
- Tarps (for shelter)
- Evening meals
PLEASE ONLY BRING WHAT YOU CAN COMFORTABLY CARRY.
Upon booking you will receive all the relevant information for your event via email. This will be to the email address provided upon booking. Please check your junk folder for this information.
Due to H&S requirements, it is essential that disclaimers are completed and returned for each participant prior to your course date. Failure to complete the required disclaimer will result in you being unable to attend the course.
Any photographs or photography taken by the instructors during the course may be used by Serious Outdoor Skills in promotional material or advertising either printed or on the internet. If you do not wish to be present in any photographs, please let your instructor know upon arrival to your event.
Evening meals will be provided by Serious Outdoor Skills. This will usually consist of any of the following:
If you have any food allergies or would prefer to self-cater for evening meals, please email email@example.com to inform us of this.
Age 16+ *Must attend with a paying adult aged 18+
PLEASE NOTE: Trips will run weather permitting. Should our event need to be postponed for any reasons out of the control of Serious Outdoor Skills, as per our T&Cs, an alternative date will be available.
Q. I have made a booking, but I have not received any information about my event.
- An email containing all the course details will be sent to the email address provided upon booking. Please ensure you have entered the correct email address.
- Please check your junk/spam folder as the email may have been sent there.
- If you have still not received the course details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. I have booked a date I can no longer attend, what are my options?
- Contact us at email@example.com to change your booking to an alternative date, providing availability.
- For cancellations and refunds, please refer to our Terms & Conditions: https://seriousoutdoorskills.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/
Q. My event was postponed due to adverse weather, what happens now?
- Due to the nature of our business, events may be postponed if it is deemed unsafe to run due to adverse weather. In this instance, you will be offered an alternative date to attend your event.
Q. What happens if my event is postponed because of Covid-19?
- Option 1) You will be provided with a credit note which will be valid for 18 months.
- Option 2) You will be offered an alternative date, providing availability.
- Option 3) You will be provided with a refund.